Gail Marcus, Chair of the Food Addiction Institute, and Phil Werdell, Director of the Food Addiction Professional Training Program, headed up a delegation to the national conference of the American Psychiatric Association May 5th – 9th in Philadelphia. Their focus was to educate psychiatrists about the need to include food as a substance use disorder in the next update of the association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM-5) due out in 2013. They also shared information about the urgent need for food-addiction treatment. Phil Werdell was well received when he spoke to this issue at one of the open forums. Since then, Mr. Werdell has continued communicating with members of the committee explaining in greater detail the importance of the American Psychiatric Association’s recognizing food as a substance use disorder in the DSM-5. Click on a PDF below to read each letter.
- 1 Letter-TO-APA-May-2_2012-Philly-Convention-(1)
- 2 Attachment TO APA letter May 2nd 2012
- 3 Letter to Dr O’Brien – May 20th 2012
- 4 Letter TO Dr Walsh – May 25th 2012
- 5 Letter FROM Dr O’Brien – June 27th 2012
- 6 Letter TO Dr O’Brien – July 16th 2012